Thursday, August 2, 2012

Leftovers? Shepherds Pie!

When I make seitan I seem to always have leftovers.  It is generally a good thing as I am able to do some fun things with what remains.  This time I used the left over seitan from the dinner with the cracks last week to make an old favorite of mine.

Growing up in New England, I had a very specific definition of shepherds pie.  It was always (and generally only) meat, potatoes and corn.  For the most part, that is how I have always made it, although I often toss in a bit of kale if I have it.  This time I did not.  It was straight up, old-school shepherds pie.


I only made a few servings to take to work for the long week.  It was perfect.  Shamefully, I often forget how much I really like this dish.  In the back of my head I was thinking it as going to take a long time but I made it in about an hour and it was fantastic!


2 comments:

adriennefriend said...

your understanding of shepherd's pie is so totally different from mine. I'll have to make it for you sometime.

FoodandLoathing said...

Growing up, our shepherd's pie was similar, except it didn't have corn, it had peas instead, and when I think about it, I think about my momma!