Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Paprika Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I have been feeling under the weather recently.  It has been a drag and even resulted in me using a sick day at the jobby job.  I always feel guilty when I call out sick but I try and remember that I am given my sick days for a reason and I should be able to use them when I need.  I am feeling better now and should be 100% again soon.

Ashley and her daughter. Kaleigh, brought over the pumpkin that we picked a few weeks ago, for the Halloween carving.  As a child, I do not have many memories of pumpkin carving.  It was either not something we did often or it did not seem as significant as some others.  This time, we used a pattern.  I have never done used a pattern for pumpkin carving.  It came out nice but felt unimaginative.  Kaleigh liked it so I suppose that is what counts.


The best part of the pumpkin carving was fishing out the seeds and roasting them.  My mum roasted a few pumpkin seeds when I was a child but I have never done it.


Paprika Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon of oil
3/4 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees.

Rise the seeds and separate from the pumpkin strings.  There is no need to dry overnight.  Simply rinse well and pat dry with a towel.

In a bowl, add all other ingredients and fold in the seeds.  Pour the seeds on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Bake for 1 hour.  Every 20 minutes, take the seeds out and flip them to avoid sticking and burning.

8 comments:

xvavaveganx said...

Oooh those look good! I was actually going to roast up some pumpkin seeds as a snack today. I'll probably spice em up with some pumpkin pie spice because I love all things cinnamon and it only seems appropriate :)

Jes said...

Awesome roasted pumpkin seeds!

Javelin Warrior said...

Mmm...pumpkin seeds with paprika :) And whenever I get sick, I always seem to get it bad - I have to duck out of work for a couple of days before finally dragging myself back half-alive... Hope you feel better soon...

Vegan Fazool said...

There is no need for guilt at all. It is SO much better for you to stay home and spare your mates at work from being exposed to your illness! I always hate when someone comes to work deathly ill and infects the whole office, then we unknowingly bring it home to our kids and families. It could all could have been prevented if only the first sick person would stay the hell HOME!! You did the only right thing. And pumpkin seeds with paprika, yum. Just got me some new "half-sharp" paprika, and it's awesome. Will try this if I can!

XO
VF

Renus Kitchen said...

thanks for sharing this recipe with us, I didn't know we could use pumpkin seeds. I have to try it now

T said...

Yum those look amazing! Sorry you're feeling under the weather!

Hannah said...

What a wonderful twist- We always just roast our pumpkin seeds plain, with a bit of salt and olive oil. I may just need to buy another carving pumpkin to try this variation. :)

Anonymous said...

looks like you already have some good input about sick days. I tend to feel weird about staying home too... i tend to think, "what if i end up being way sicker than this later in the year and i really need the sick days then?" but what Dawn said is true. you don't want to be the start of a mini plague :P also, the pumpkin looks really good! very clean lines.

-Ame