Friday, September 2, 2011

The Mainers Whoopie

In Maine, everything was a whoopie pie.  It was rare to go into a local sandwich or coffee shop and not have some homemade whoopie pie available.  There were stores dedicated solely to selling whoppie pies.  They seemed to be popping up faster than wild blueberries.

I was fairly intrigued.  It seemed that there was almost a lack of creativity to the phenomenon.  All I never saw were the standard chocolate whoopies and the occasional vanilla or peanut butter whoopies.  While I am sure there are specialty places that offer a wider variety, I did not see them.  Maine has never really been know for its variety.

All of these whoopies got me thinking outside the box.  I have already done chocolate chip whoppies, and red velvet whoopies, and a few other variations.  I am determined to get back to my Maine roots and stir the pot a bit.

Introducing, Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pies:


(recipe to come soon)

4 comments:

Sarah E. Jahier said...

Oh YUM!!!!

I just drooled all over my keyboard!

Allyson said...

Ack! This looks superb. What a fantastic idea... I love it!

Hannah said...

What a killer cliffhanger! I'm very curious to see that recipe.. It's a great idea, and one that's long overdue. Whoopie pies are just so much fun. :)

Catherine Weber said...

How 'bout a PBJ whoopie next? (I'm thinking peanut butter cookie ends with a strawberry filling????)

P.S. Snickerdoodles are in my top five all-time favorite cookies. Good choice!