Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weekend Getaway: Day 2

Day two was an eventful day.  Ashley, Kaleigh, and I went out early for a hike to Juney Whank Falls.  It was a short walk but we did not know how much Kaleigh could do and my ankle was still sore from last weekends events with my sister and her family.



It was a nice hike and Kaleigh got to see a nice waterfall.  On the walk out, we also got to see Deep Creek Falls.  Ashley and I had hiked this same trail last autumn on our weekend to the Smokey Mountains.


Later in the afternoon, Ashley and I went to a local farmers market.  We got there as it was ending so there was not much produce left.  We were able to get some great items though.  We got some fresh baked bread and homemade jam from one vendor.  Another vendor had some purple basil, fresh mustard greens, and a stack of massive shiitake mushrooms.  I have never seen shiitakes this large.  I had to indulge, despite the price.  I thought that these would be some fun ingredients to cook with in the lodge kitchen.


That afternoon, the three of us met up with her family for lunch at The Filling Station.  It was a simple sandwich shop but was very vegan friendly.  We were able to get two great wraps with a lot of vegetable options.  We both thought that the sandwiches were incredibly good.



After lunch, Ashley's siblings met up with us for some tubing down Deep Creek.  It was the first time that Kaleigh had been tubing on her own tube.  She loved it, she was so light on the water that it was often hard for people to keep up with her.  She had such a great time.




After the tubing, we all headed to a cookout.  Ashley's family is very vegan friendly.  One of her family friends actually made us a mini-vegan peach pie!  It was amazing.  We were even given half of the grill to make some veggie burgers, potatoes, corn, and I even tossed those mushrooms I bought at the farmers market on the grill.  There were some vegan baked beans that were the best baked beans I have ever had.  I even snuck in for seconds!







It was a full and exciting day.  To my surprise, there was so much great food, it was shaping up to be a nice break from the Atlanta grind.

5 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

I totally just accidentally deleted the comment you left about the cookies I made last night - damn iPhone!

Sorry!

Alessandra said...

Cool river ride, waterfall, beans, mushrooms and all!
Enjoy your trip and take care of the ankle :-)

ciao
A.

Jen Treehugger said...

Juney Whank!!
must.....not....laugh.......
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Bonnie said...

This looks like such a fun day! The hiking pictures are gorgeous and I'm glad that you found such an abundance of vegan foods. This makes me want to go and have a yummy summery BBQ myself.

Just Us said...

Beautiful waterfall!! Sounds/looks like a fun getaway with some great food.