Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apples and Falls

There has not been much going on recently.  I have been laying low after being sick to ensure I do not come down with anything else.  I have also been working too many hours at the jobby job.  In fact, I even picked up some additional hours at another location because they were understaffed.  Working at another location is nice, it almost feels as if I have a new job.

Today was my day off.  Ashley and I decided to go pick apples in Ellijay.  It rained but we were not deterred.  We spent several hours out in the rain with the animals at the farm and the apples in the orchard.  It was a great day.  Nice and relaxing.  Apple picking is something the I have fond memories of from my childhood.  My mum and I used to go pick apples each year.  We did other fruits as well.  It was always a fun bonding experience for the two of us and is a tradition I try to carry on in my life even now.  As I get older, it amazes me that the value of things that I remember changes.


At the orchard, they has a vendor selling ribbon fries.  If you have never had them, I highly recommend it!  They take a whole raw potato and slice it, with what looks similar to a meat slice, into a pile of ribbon like chips.  Then they drop it in hot oil for a few minutes!  Luckily for us, this was the only item that this vendor was selling that was fried so we were safe from the potential of sketchy oils.  Delicious!  I have to get one of these ribbon cutters...and a deep frier!


After the apple picking we headed a few miles down the road a few miles to Amicalola Falls State Park.  Georgia has many waterfalls and I think I have seen most of the major ones.  Amicalola is one of the best.  It is a short but crazy hike up (and back down) 175 steep stairs to the base of the falls.  This site made me appropriate the day of rain.  The falls were cascading over the rocks more aggressively then I have ever seen in Georgia.  It was a great stop and by the time we zipped up and down the steps our legs were like jelly.  It was time to head home.



The greatness of some days can not be hampered.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

A friend of mine just went apple picking last week and was kind enough to give me a jar of freshly made apple butter he made from his pickings.

Catherine Weber said...

What kind of apples did you pick?

Jes said...

Awww I love Amicolola falls! & the apple place in Ellijay is awesome too, I definitely sneaked in a piece of their apple pie a few years ago claiming the "don't ask don't tell" non vegan food policy :)