Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Seitan Spring Rolls

Yesterday was a nice afternoon showing lofts. We saw some great places and I am very excited to see more. The day ended with me up in the middle of the night sick to my stomach. Luckily, I felt much better once I woke up and began my day.

Ashley and I went to get some garden additions that we ran out of time and were unable to put them in. We did make some lunch though.

Seitan Spring Rolls

the mixture

3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 1/4 cup of seitan (chopped)
2 cups cabbage (shredded)
1 cup of carrots (shredded)
1 cup of mung bean sprouts
2 tablespoons of onion (shredded)
2 tablespoons of housin sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of jalapeno pepper (chopped)
1 teaspoon of chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
1/4 teaspoon of sugar

In a wok, heat the sesame oil on med heat. When the oil is up to temperature, add the seitan, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper and allow to fry for about 10 minutes. This should be enough time for the seitan to begin to brown. Once the seitan begins to brown, add the carrots, cabbage and bean sprouts. I used the carrots and cabbage in a food processor to get them nice and shredded. Allow to fry for about 10 minutes. Much of the bulk of the ingredients will shrink a bit. Add the housin sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar, and vinegar and stir well. Increase the heat to med-high for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and begin the wraps.


the wraps

8 pieces of rice paper3 cups of water

In a large pot, bring the 3 cups of water to a simmer. Once you can see some bubbles, turn the heat off. Gently, place one piece of rice paper in the hot water for 15-20 seconds. Remove the rice paper and gently lay it over a plate. Take a heaping spoonful of the seitan mixture on the front center are of the rice paper. Fold in the right and left sides and then gently roll the rice paper sheet like a burrito. Set aside and repeat.



These were very good but after awhile, Ashley and I found that the rice paper gets a bit tough and they get a little chewy. Make sure that you eat these as you make them! Share, there is plenty for everyone.

As always, there are too many work hours at the jobby job in the next few days. I will miss many of the games so let me say it now. Go Boston!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can soften the rice paper in just regular warm water - it doesn't have to be very hot at all. It takes a bit longer, but I haven't noticed mine getting tough later.
I have found that putting down a couple of paper towels on top of a cutting board to spread the soaked rice paper on helps to make it easier to work with. I'm sure you could also use a tea towel or a flour sack towel. It aborbs just enough of the water to make rolling easier.
I made some for a party a couple of nights ago and filled them with all raw stuff - basil and mint leaves, shredded carrot, mung bean sprouts, then added some strips of baked, seasoned tofu. They were light and delicious with just a touch of soy sauce added.

Jen Treehugger said...

They look soooooo good. I've never used rice paper before so you've totally inspired me.
:)

Jes said...

Those spring rolls look awesome! I've never put seitan in one before, but it sounds like a delicious idea

two vegan boys said...

yum. Sorry you have to work so much.

I will leave you with Arthur's latest quote. He has two light sabers(Star Wars). He and his Daddy were playing with them.

Josh said, "I'm Darth Vader."

Arthur said, "Well, I'm Darth Arthur."

Love it!

Anonymous said...

this looks tasty! ...and not too difficult, if not for making the seitan before...

In your photo, the way the light goes through the glass cup onto the plate looks really pretty!

thanks organicgoddess for the rice paper tips.

... say it know!? No! Say it NOW! Don't you KNOW that already? :P