Sunday, June 6, 2010

Saturday off!

Saturday off! I got a decent nights sleep and get some great things done around the house. It was not just cleaning but I was able to get out in the garden. With Ashley's help, we planted 2 more cilantro plants (I use a lot of it), a jalapeno pepper plant and several okra plants.

Despite an early season rain that did some substantial damage, the garden has survived well. The herbs are all going strong. I lost about half of my beet plants but still have a few solid prospects.
I have gardened, on and off, for years. Never once have I planted something that I could not eat. It has always been food. Today, Ashley and I broke the mold. I planted 2 lilies and some other random flower. Breaking the rules!

7 comments:

jessy said...

so awesome on the day off, getting lots done around the house, and gardening. w00t! my parents had trouble with their beets this year as well. it was fo 'sho all the rain, but they say their tomatoes and peppers are look'n great! changing it up with a few flowering plants sounds fun - and i loooove me some cilantro. actually, i need to get some planted this year, and parsley as well. :)

Millie said...

Since I downsized from a large 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment, my balcony has become my garden spot. I have 12 tomato plants, 8 green pepper plants, 2 pots full of cilantro and 2 large oval pots full of green lettece. Its pretty amazing how I have managed to plant so much in such a small space but I even had a nice area for my 2 balcony chairs. Your garden is beautiful and those lillies are outstanding...you have a green thumb...good job my friend!

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Jes said...

Your plants look awesome! And yay for okra--it's going to be so good once you harvest it!

two vegan boys said...

Yay for days off and vegetables!

dirtyduck said...

rule breaker! i love almost all veggies..but okra? *shudders* cant do it. glad you ae enjoying the outdoors.

Shaheen said...

Nothing wrong in having a few flowers in the garden.

Its all looking good. I'm envious of your coriander aka cilantro. I love eating it too, but don't have much luck growing it.

Anonymous said...

i havent tried these, but just ran across the article today. If geranium spray works, i wonder if simply planting geranium would work too...?

http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=3190&eeid=7334213&_sitecat=1960&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=1&ck=&ch=hg&cat=hg&_lid=550&_lnm=homegarden.relatedstories.ac.articles