Sunday, June 13, 2010

Credit where credit is due

I had one of my favorite house guests this weekend. Tato! It was great having him here while Jamie was out of town. He always makes me laugh, even if Jamie thinks I spoil him.

Credit where credit is due. About 7 months ago, Ashley began cooking vegan food. Ashley is not vegan but she enjoys cooking things that are healthy for herself and her family. The bonus is that I get to try them. Occasionally, I am the guinea pig and she makes something for me to test. Last thursday she made some chic peas in a cucumber dressing and I ate it at work. It was fantastic and inspiring. Since then, I have been thinking of other, similar dishes. To start, I will share my version of her dish.

This is very light and creamy. The refreshing flavors are very reminiscent of a beautiful summer day. This could easily be rolled in a tortilla or wrapped in a pita for a picnic or meal on the go. Total, aside from the chilling, this cook about 15 minutes to make and was very easy.

Chic Peas with Cucumber and Dill

2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
15 oz of cooked chic peas
3/4 cup of vegan mayonnaise
3/4 cup of cucumber (chopped)
2 tablespoons of red onion (sliced)
2 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of dill
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of tahini

In a saute pan, bring 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to low heat. Separate the chic peas into two even bowls. One of the bowls should be gently mashed with a fork. They do not need to be a paste but they should not be whole. Add the onion and garlic to the heated oil and let fry for about 4 minutes. Add both bowls of chic peas and stir. Allow to fry for about 8-10 minutes. The chic peas should not get crunchy. Once the chic peas are done, chill for 30 minutes.

In a blender, combine the remaining olive oil, tahini, pepper, lemon juice, vegan mayonnaise, salt, cumin, dill, and cucumber. Blend on the lowest speed until it is creamy. Chill for 30 minutes

After both have chilled, spoon the sauce over the chic peas and garnish with cucumber slices and dill.

Tato has once again found himself a new place to sleep. I have been leaving my cabinet open to let them air out. I feel like they have a musty smell due to the house being vacant for so long. It seems that Tato enjoy the freedom.

7 comments:

Millie said...

Absolutely fabulous for a Summer dish.I must try this one...also did you get the hair to put around your garden plants?
Just wondered what happened with this problem...keep me in touch on how you solved the problem.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Leigh said...

Chickpeas are good in just about everything! I like the idea of a cold summer salad.

DJ Karma (VegSpinz) said...

Great idea- looks like something that would be good on pita bread too!

The Voracious Vegan said...

What a fresh and delicious summer dish! Really yummy!

And what a cute kitty, love the napping spot!

jess_fildespages said...

mmmm! looks delicious and perfect for summer! And your cats got the right idea! I'd do the same! :)

jessy said...

ah ha ha! hooray for Tato and his mischief & cuteness!

that's so awesome that Ashley loves to try her hand at vegan cooking, and even more awesome that you get to sample them, too. score! the chickpea with cucumber and dill sounds absolutely perfect for summer, and something dan and i are gonna have to make. w00t!

miss v said...

this sounds delicious - like lighter indian fare. i'm definitely going to have make this for a cooling summer lunch.