Monday, February 23, 2009

Strawberry Salad and Houses

I have not been treating myself very well recently. I have been eating very badly. After a trip to the doctor today, I realized that I need to start eating better. This new conviction works well considering that last nights dinner was along the lines of what I want to be doing more. Jamie made a great salad with spinach, carrot, red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, raisins, cranberries, almonds and more. I made some dressing for the salad in the food processor.

Strawberry Lemon Vinaigrette

5-6 med size strawberries
1/2 cup of red vine vinegar
2/3 cup of olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon wet mustard
1/3 teaspoon salt

This is very easy with any wide blender or food processor. Take the garlic, and red wine vinegar and blend until garlic is well shredded. Then add in oil and wet mustard and blend until smooth. Then you can add in all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. The dressing is a little thick.

This made for a nice hearty salad that we topped with some of the extra strawberries. It was a nice evening that was followed by some more decoration in the kitchen. We took the best pictures of the foods from the last year or so and framed them. Then we put them up over the cabinets in the kitchen. It is a bit self-indulgent but nice.

Yesterday afternoon Jamie and I took a trip to the house that is currently #1 on my purchase list. Lucky for us, the back door was ajar and we got to head in. It was really nice to see the place again and realize how nice it is. I am still not committed but it is really nice to have something I like on my list.

My birthday is coming up. A week from tomorrow in fact. I really like my birthday. It has always been a troublesome day for me but I always look forward to it. I will turn 29 and typing this with my back hurting and thinking about buying a house I feel 29 already!

I am going to make some nice foods, may be a lot of raw stuff in the next few weeks so keep your eyes here!

1 comment:

veggievixen said...

so good! i definitely need something to break up the oil-and-vinegar monotony!